FKN Exclusive – Lailani Africa
Always bringing you some hot and awesome talent we have a FKN Exclusive with a singer/songwriter from the Bay Area by the name of Lailani Africa aka Lani! Show some love and support.
Artist Name: Lailani Africa or Lani
So tell us a little bit about yourself?
- What’s up! It’s Lailani Africa here. I’m a singer/songwriter, 21 years young, born and raised here in the Bay Area. Music and performing have always been an escape for me. Living, and creating music is what I will probably do for the rest of my life. I got my start doing open mics when I was 16 and was exposed to the heart and soul of it and I was hooked. I’ve had the chance to play at the La Pena Cultural Center in Berkeley for Rama’s Go!Ohana, A showcase for Asian-American Artists and the atmosphere was amazing. As a performer I love these intimate settings where you can really connect with your audience. Other than my music life…random facts: I love to hula, cook, chill at cafes, have good food, good company & good conversation.
What inspired you to start singing?
- I was always shy growing up, you know, a bit of a wallflower. Being shy, I found expression through writing. With all these written words, why not sing them? I would see people perform on stage and I was like “I’m going to that one day” and so I did just that.
Were there any hard challenges you had to face in the industry?
- I feel this is just the beginning for me and I’m just getting started in the industry so i know I’m going to face some obstacles along the way. I just got to know what I want and go get it.
What ways have you found was the best way to promote yourself?
- Most Definitely Youtube and Facebook have been a big help promoting my music. You guys can keep up with updates and my musical journey at Facebook.com/LaniMusic
What would be your most memorable moment while singing?
- I did a small performance at my school and out in the audience I saw a girl take out a journal. After the performance she spoke to me and said I inspired her to write a new piece. To have someone come up to you and tell you that you’ve inspired them to create is one of the illest feelings.
Are there any goals that you would like to achieve?
- Finish school become a music therapist/rockstar! I definitely want to create an album, play more shows, tour one day and all that jazz. Oh and my pipe dream of working with some of my favorite artists like Brandon Boyd and J-Live one day. I want to work with great writers and just vibe off them and see what I can create.
What can we expect from you in the future?
- I’ll be checking out the local open mic circuit and pretty much trying to perform anywhere possible. Find me at The Sunnyvale Art Gallery on Thursday Nights at The Canvas Open Mic! =)
Are there any upcoming albums you are releasing?
- Not as of now, but hopefully in the future! I take my time with the music process. I want to really develop myself as a better writer first then it’s to making an album!
What do you think of FKN Famous?
- Awesome! Thanks to Jerry for emailing me. I wouldn’t have known about this great site. Keep it up. FKN Famous has my support!
Any last shout outs?
- Hey Fam! Dad and Mama Africa! my bros, Warrick and George. My Sis, Lea. my main crew. Joe Squared. To Branden Nguyen: Gotta make more music! The people at The Canvas Open Mic and of course FKN Famous for having me!
This article is sponsored by: