Fashion – Berma Clothing
In fashion today we have an awesome group coming from Costa Mesa, Ca by the name of Berma Clothing! Relax as we get to know Berma Clothing more and how they started with their brand!
Clothing line name: Berma Clothing
City / State: Costa Mesa, Ca
Established date: December 2008
Price range for clothing: Tees range from $20.99-$26.99 we also do flannels, hoodies, bags, skate decks and hats.
Where to buy your clothing: www.ShopBerma.com
So tell us about yourself and your brand?
- I came from a background of action sports working with top brands Tapout, Hitman Fight Gear, Quicksilver, and Sullen for the last nine years. I worked my way up from warehouse worker to the production manager.. I am born and raised in Newport/Costa Mesa and have lived here my whole life, watching brands start from nothing like Volcom and Hurley and become multimillion dollar monsters in the action sports industry.
How did you come up with the name?
- I studied books upon books everything from trademark books to books describing the most efficient amount of letters that could fit on a shirt. Then I started from “A” and went through the alphabet till I found a letter that wasn’t really over used, in this already over saturated clothing market. After going through this 10 to 15 times I came across “B”, besides Burton the B is pretty much untouched. Then one day I was watching CNN and heard the word Burma, they were describing the Country Burma now called _____. I immediately loved the name but knew I had to change the spelling in order to improve my unique SEO and make it easy to trademark. And that’s where Berma came from.
What best describes your line & who is it targeted to?
- I really felt there weren’t any brands out there that represented the kid that grew up by the beach surfing but yet loved to ride moto and snowboard in the winter, the full southern California lifestyle. I wanted to establish a brand that people would be proud to wear at their favorite Berma sponsored metal concert or just eating tacos on a surf trip to Ensenada, that is Berma. We live by our slogan, ‘We’re not a brand were a lifestyle!’
What influenced you to start this line?
- Working for my past clothing company over the last 2 years I realized that I had plateaued in my career and needed a drastic change. I was the student but had become the teacher that hit the glass ceiling.
How is your brand different from others out there?
- We’re true to our roots and plan to stay that way to the end! I have watched way too many brands, like Tapout, sell out just to earn an extra buck. I want to be around for at least another 20 years, and have my loyal fans trust that Berma will never sway from what we represent! Look at Maui and Son they’re making their come back as we speak, I used to wear there swim trunks before I even knew how to walk.
Are there any challenges you run into while running a business?
- Every day is a challenge, whether it’s your warehouse manager showing up late to open shop or your sales rep giving out the wrong price sheet. Running a small business is a very stressful and long endeavor, but after working a 14 hour day and finally getting home I can lie in bed and smile because I love what I do!
What ways did you find promoting your brand worked?
- We have a huge influence in metal music. I brought on a designer last year named Neil Ballard who shared a common interest in Metal music with me. Only 2 months into our partnership he brought on a huge Metal band known as “Unearth” which plays for crowds of more than 60,000 people! From there we’ve been steadily bringing on anywhere from 1-3 quality bands a month, like Hero and Error from Ireland and Jameson a local band who, by the way, are amazing! We also strive to find those up-and-coming athletes from all over the world! Whether its surfing, snowboarding, skating, mma, moto, or bmx, we will find you and support your cause!
Are there any future plans for your line?
- Absolutely! This year we are planning on pushing our product into big box and international accounts. This will be the year of explosive growth in our brand. One step we have made already this year is a recent deal we signed with our new Canadian distributor, representing some of the top brands in the industry.
How did you hear about FKN Famous & what do you think of us?
- I came across your website not long ago and started checking in every once in a while. I really enjoyed the articles your guys post! And of course, who wouldn’t love your name!
Any last shout outs?
- I want to say thanks to the team over here at Berma Clothing, without you guys we wouldn’t be who or where we are today! And lastly, I am getting married next month so I want to say thanks to my bride-to-be Elizabeth for all her support and for standing by my decision to start this brand! Thanks FKN FAMOUS!
This article is sponsored by: