FKN Exclusive – 6Fingers
Putting it down hard for the bay we have a FKN Exclusive with producer 6Fingers of Drums and Ammo. You may have heard some of his beats on our recent feature of “Hopie”. Take a listen to some of his sickest beats!
Producer: 6Fingers of Drums and Ammo
City/state: Vallejo CA
So tell us a little bit about yourself?
- I’m a producer based out of the Bay Area, Vallejo to be exact. I started making music around 1998 with my crew called “Groundbasics.” This year I just dropped a album with Hopie called “Dulce Vita” and a instrumental album with my production crew Drums and Ammo (Ammbush, Al Jieh, Rel, and myself) a free download called Drums and Ammo Vol 1.
What inspired you to start Producing?
- Growing up me and my friends used to freestyle to instrumental tapes and record the songs on a karaoke machine. One day I got an idea to do the two radio thing but with a Karaoke machine and a mic. I would do a drum pattern with these wack ass drums from a casio keyboard, record that, switch tapes, then add the next layer..maybe some piano chords, switch tapes, add a horn..and so on and so on until I had a beat done. It was kinda like a poor mans 4 track machine.The beats I made were pretty wack but I had hella fun making them From there I got my hands on a roland/boss drum machine, but once I got my hands on a Akai MPC 2000 things got real serious.
Who are some of the artist you’ve worked for?
- Right now I have 2 main artists that I have been working with for a while Topkat and Hopie Spitshard. I have released a few albums with them. But I have had real talented artists on my beats like Del the Funky Homosapien, Murs, E-40, Exile, Bambu, LuckyIam, Rocky RIvera, Moe Green, Dumbfoundead, Pigeon John, The Jacka, Mr.Fab, Turf Talk…and so many more.
Were there any hard challenges you had to face in the industry?
- The hardest challenges for me are going out there networking and getting the hang of the whole business side of things. I’m a fucking labrat I just wanna make music 24/7. I just zone out so much when I’m in the studio that I don’t think of anything else. I get mad at myself a lot because I should be on the internet social networking, going out to more functions etc etc.. but I just don’t. S/O ‘s to the MCees I work with….their music keeps my name in the loop.
What ways have you found was the best way to promote your music?
- I mean really I think right now its gotta be the blogs, social networks, and definitely the visuals. This whole internet shit is off the hook. From what I’m learning from my peers is that hiring a publicist is definitely the way to go if its in your budget.
Is there any advice you can give to up & coming producers out there?
- You know its really hard for me to give too much advice because I still consider myself a up and coming producer. One thing I can say that has helped me is staying away from trends. At one point I was trying to keep up with whats popular and I just felt like I wasn’t being me. Once I got back to the basics of who I was as a producer everything started to fall into place and more folks started to hit me up to work.
What is one of your biggest goals in life?
- My main goal in life is to be honored at the VH1 hip hop honors show. Naw just playing. Musically speaking I would have to say it would be dope to be able to live off music for as long as possible! Working for the man sucked!
Is there anything we can expect from you in the future?
- This is going to be a very busy year. A lot of projects are in the works and a lot of projects are nearly complete ready to be heard. I’m really excited for all the projects I have coming up but I’m really excited to finally release my first conceptual instrumental album. It should be very interesting. Oh and expect to see me do some beat sets and hopefully rocking some shows with artists that I work with.
How did you hear about FKN Famous & what do you think of it?
- I heard of you guys through Hopie…and I’m sure you heard of me through her as well hahahaahaa. But I think FKN Famous is dope because you guys cover a lot of things. A lot of things that I’m interested outside of music.
Any last shout outs to your supporters and future fans?
- No doubt!!! Shout out to all the folks who like my music…I do it for yall!. Keep rocking with me! You’re a strange bunch!
This article is sponsored by:
1 Comment › Leave yours
- 6 Fingers Interviews with FKN Famous « a-Tunes - [...] Check out the rest over at FKN Famous! [...]