FKN Exclusive – XOXO
We are always bringing you some new talent! To start off the week we have a FKN Exclusive with a music group from San Francisco, CA by the name of “XOXO”. Feel free to show your love and support for the group!
Group name: XOXO
City/State: San Francisco, CA
Tell us about yourself
- “We are an Acoustic R&B group hailing from San Francisco, CA. There are three of us in the group. MissCarolinexoxo is on lead vocals, Lexoxo is on vocals, guitar, and ukulele, while Nixoxo handles whatever is left over! We’ve been playing together as a trio since 2009, while Miss Caroline and Lex have been playing together since 2006 when they first started the MissCarolineXOXO channel on YouTube. All members were born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area and are Filipino American.”
What inspired you to start singing?
- “I dunno! I’ve always been surrounded by music. It has always been a part of my life as long as I can remember!”
What kind of challenges have you faced in the industry?
- “The hardest part about being a group that became popular through new media like YouTube is people not taking you seriously. A lot of people don’t think that we are ready to be taken seriously and lack experience, yet we’ve been playing and making music for so many years and have continued to function as an entirely independent and self produced group. To get around this, we just remained determined and continued to make music on our own terms without the help of any record label, producer, or outside group.
Other challenges we face is the ephemeral, fickle nature of a lot of the YouTube viewer-base. It’s always a challenge to maintain their engagement when it’s just so easy to click to another video or YouTube artist. The viewers also have a long, varied sometimes contradictory list of demands so pleasing them is also somewhat of a challenge as well.
What ways have you found the best ways to promote yourself?
- Right now the best way is through YouTube which is where a lot of our fan base comes from. Now we are branching out onto other social networking platforms such as Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook as well as being available for download on sites such as iTunes and Bandcamp.
What would be your most memorable moment while singing?
- I guess it would be our release party for our debut EP. Mainly because we could finally showcase our original music we had been working so hard on and share the moment with our friends, family, and fans!
Are there any goals you would like to achieve?
- A big goal would be to make music into a full time career and be able to make a living from it. A lot of people our age have a hard time finding work in this economy so it would be nice to make money from something we are very passionate about.
Also, it would be nice to inspire more people on a wider level because it’s always a great feeling to know that you positively influenced someone in their life.
What can we expect from you in the future?
- Definitely more original content. We’ll be trying to release recordings more frequently as well as performing in more venues to more people in various locations! We would definitely like to be able to perform for our fans not just in the Bay Area or CA, but also the rest of the United States and even around the whole world!
You can also expect us to try many different things and test the limits of what is expected from an Acoustic group. We are always trying new things and attempt to innovate rather than imitate.
Are there any upcoming albums you are releasing?
- Well we just released our debut EP in February. It’s called “Ready” and is available on iTunes as well as our Bandcamp site. Maybe we will release another EP or at least a few singles for the summer as well videos for songs off of the “Ready” EP.
What do you think of FKN Famous?
- Well we think you are FKN AWESOME! It’s great that you are reaching out to different kinds of talent and organizations and spreading the word about them. While YouTube is great, we definitely appreciate you guys interviewing us and getting to know us on a little deeper level!
Any last shoutouts?
- Shout out to those who have been following us for all these years, those who come to our shows, and those who buy our album and support independent Asian American Music. And of course a last shout out to you guys, FKN FAMOUS, for featuring us! Thanks!
This article is sponsored by: