FKN Exclusive – DRIPS18
It’s a new week, so of course we love to bring you some new talent! In today we’ve got a very talented graphic artist by the name of DRIPS18 aka Brian Shields. We present you with this very special FKN Exclusive! Get yo know DRIPS18 a little more and how he started our in the industry. Also check out some of his latest work! This is definitely a talented graphic artist you don’t want to miss!
Designers Name: DRIPS18 (Brian Shields)
City/State: Las Vegas, Nevada
So tell us a little bit about yourself?
- I’m a Southern California born and bred Graphic Designer laying roots in Las Vegas, a city of transplants. I can be found designing bad ass graphic kits for AMR Racing (www.amrracing.com) by day, while feeding my creative beast on some personal projects, at night. After a brief hiatus, my creative mind was hungry. So, armed with relentless enthusiasm, a head full of fresh, new ideas, and nothing to lose, I tackled each project with vengeance. My brain is in the zone non-stop—constantly learning, loyally progressing. I’m living my absolute dream and loving every moment of it.
What inspired you to start in graphic designing?
- Honestly, I always liked computers, and I was always intrigued by the concept of art, but I couldn’t draw. My parents sent me to summer camps to learn how to draw, but it just wasn’t my thing. Growing up, I was heavily influenced by the graffiti art movement and by artists such as, DAIM. The magic he created with a can of Krylon left me in complete awe. So, when UCSD came to my high school my Junior Year, I was introduced to the world of Graphic Design. Finally, a medium that combined both computers and art. It was a no-brainer.
Is there anything that sets you differently from others out there?
- That’s the beauty of art. Each piece is different. As Graphic Designers our tools and our implements may be the same, however, it’s our unique vision and our incomparable execution that set us apart. Originality, our ability to think independently and creatively, sustains individuality. By surrounding myself with creative minds, both professionally and personally, a family has been created. That family is part of an even larger community that is committed to supporting, motivating, and promoting creativity. I will never stop creating. My designs are my voice.
Were there any hard challenges you had to face in the industry?
- My mentors are constantly raising the bar. Like I said before, I am constantly learning, evolving, re-inventing. Bringing fresh, new concepts to the table in an already saturated market is the key to longevity. Be positive. Be open. Be ready.
What ways have you found was the best way to promote yourself?
- Social networking tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, Tumblr, and a legit personal website are effective and useful marketing concepts. However, word-of-mouth from my clients is the ultimate nod.
What would be your craziest designs you’ve done?
- My “Nikki” piece that is featured on The Golden Black (www.thegoldenblack.com) is the first that comes to mind. It was the first time I trusted myself to just flow…freely…fiercely. That new found freedom gave me the confidence to push the envelope creatively and to redefine my design parameters.
Are there any goals that you would like to achieve?
- For sure. Setting attainable short term and long term goals are what keep me in the game. Today the name of my game is: Progression. Keep it flowing to keep me growing.
What can we expect from you in the future?
- Big things, for sure. I just jumped on board with a project with Scott Sorenson (STELEKON). I’m super psyched, but, unfortunately, I’m unable to share any details at the moment. This opportunity was definitely a game-changer for me in all ways.
What do you think of FKN Famous & how did you hear about us?
- I heard about FKN Famous from James Benson (MFNTIMEBOMB) from Swallows & Daggers. FKN Famous hypes legit, talented individuals. Nowhere else can one obtain such an innovative and invaluable source of exposure as an artist.
Any last shout outs?
- First and foremost, mad love to my girlfriend, Gigi Mall. Thank you for not accepting “no” for an answer when it mattered the most, and thank you for, not only believing in my dream, but for believing in my ability to blow it out of the water. You’re so rad.
Hydro74, Brian Ewing, STELEKON, Pale Horse, Sweyda, Mister Chek, MFNTIMEBOMB, James McDowell and Nick Litrenta for providing continuous creative inspiration and for challenging and expanding my design horizons everyday.
The entire AMR Racing family. Expect big things from these guys this year. The vibe is so positive there. Owners, Gary Johnson and Wade Brush, Creative Director, Aaron “Ninja” Cannon, and Senior Graphic Designer, Devin Brennan welcomed me aboard their team this year. I can’t thank you enough for the opportunity.
DJ Stellar, DJ M!KEATTACK and DJ Tara Brooks for helping me to establish myself as a new, up-and-coming designer in Las Vegas. Thank you for your unwavering support.
Creative Director, Erik Casillas from Dirty Ghetto Kids for showing me the ropes when I was green and fresh out of school.
This article is sponsored by: