Fashion – Past Future Clothing
We love bringing you some of the dopiest brands & stores around the world. Holding things down in the indie fashion industry we’ve got a brand based out of Manchester, England by the name of Past Future Clothing. Now relax as we get to know Past Future Clothing a little more and how they started out in the industry.
Clothing line name: Past Future Clothing
City/State: Manchester, England
Established Date: September 2011
Price range for clothing: £20 – £40
Where to buy your clothing: http://www.pastfutureclothing.com
So tell us about your brand?
- Past Future is an independent streetwear brand based in Manchester England. We mainly stock tees and sweaters now, but will be expanding to a whole range of clothes over the coming months.
How did you come up with the name?
- ‘Past Future’ the name, ﬁrst came into play around two years ago whilst i was studying art and design at college. i liked playing with the idea that the clothing line will become an icon of the past but still pioneer the future of streetwear.
What were you doing before launching your brand?
- Before i launched past future back in September, i had completed the ﬁrst year in Fashion Design at university, the following summer is when the brand was launched and brings us to where we are today!
When did you begin thinking about launching your own clothing brand?
- The ﬁrst thoughts about building a proper brand was around June/July last year, i had a few designs building up which i would have liked to use so i just selected my favorite three and got the ball rolling!
What best describes your line & who is it targeted to?
- I’d say the Past Future line is best described as a contemporary classic. It is aimed at people who enjoy streetwear culture and like to be involved in it.
What influenced you to start this line?
- I ﬁrst got inﬂuenced to begin the brand around two years ago whilst at art college, the class got a graphic design brief in which to design a tee, we had to pick a word off a long list and design around that word, picking the word ‘birdy’ is where it all started basically haha. After designing the tee a few of my class mates were saying they would actually wear it, so i made a very small run of them just for fun at ﬁrst really. the tees got pretty popular around the area so i just kept selling them with no intention to expand.
How is your brand different from others out there?
- Past Future is different to most other developing street brands because we use a number of different techniques to design/develop/produce our garments. The ﬁrst release’s for the SS12 line have just dropped, which include more hand sewn garments alongside the usual graphic prints used in the past. Also starting with this release, every garment that comes out of Past Future will be limited and only available while stocks last.
Are there any challenges you run into while running a business?
- The most difficult problem I’ve faced since starting the brand is time and money management, there are constant expenses for materials, garments printing and so on. That problem soon ﬁzzled away as i got more used to dealing with lots of out-goings, time is precious when running a business because it is very easy to slack and not put 100% in, i am not one of these people haha.
What ways did you find promoting your brand worked?
- Promoting my brand has mainly been through word of mouth, however i have had links with a few UK musicians such as the Mancunian MC Blizzard who is an up and coming talent from my hometown, there is also the band Kid British who have been around for a few years and got a good name for themselves in the music industry. Having these people wear my clothes has been great advertisement for the brand.
Are there any future plans for your line?
- In the future i hope to see Past Future reaching out more globally and being stocked in a few boutiques around the world, moving into a bit of tailoring and maybe collaborate with some more well known brands.
How did you hear about FKN Famous & what do you think of us?
- I ﬁrst heard about FKN famous when i received the email to do this interview! since then Ive checked up on it regularly because it does have a lot of cool articles from up and coming designers like myself.
Any last shout outs?
- I’d just like to shout out everyone involved with Past Future from the supporters down to the people involved with production, everyone getting involved with the promotion and all friends and family! Cheers.
This article is sponsored by: