FKN Exclusive – Team Proper
It’s a new week, and it’s time for some new talent! You know us, we love bringing something new and talented to the website! With that being said we’ve got a very special FKN Exclusive with a talented martial arts group based out of San Francisco, California by the name of Team Proper! Read up on this exclusive interview with Team Proper and how they came about. Also check out some of their latest video of them in action!
Team Name: Team Proper
City/State: San Francisco, Ca
So tell us a little bit about yourself.
- My name is Juinor Salientes, I grew up in Vallejo Ca now living in S.F. I basically grew up in the Martial Arts, I started at 4 years old under my fathers school called “Salientes Asian Knights”. We were a traditional school but a competitive school too. My father had me competing at a very young age. I was ranked #1 in the nation as a junior competitor and at 15 years old he decided to put me in the adult black belt division which that year I went undefeated until he passed away. At a young age I was lost and didn’t know what to do so I took some time off trying to get my life together. A couple of years later I started training again under Daythan Taylor at Taylor’s House of karate in San Rafael (my current school). I started competing again and traveling all over the United States. In the mid 90’s I got picked up by one of the top teams in the nation called Sherman Oaks Raiders from SoCal. In 1998 to early 2000 I moved on and became a member of Team Kani sponsored by Urban Clothing designer Karl Kani. With great past coaches and teams, in 2008 Team Proper was formed and within the last 2 years my team holds over 30 Individual World Titles, my Jr. Team won 2010 & 2011 World Titles , and my Men’s Team won the 2011 World Title.
What inspired your team to start fighting & how long has your team been fighting for?
- We always been fighting since we were young and it started In 2008 a group of friends (Sean Arceo and Myself) decided to form a team which we came up with the name Team Proper. Till this day we all inspire each other to push and to be the best we can be in and outside of the ring.
Is there anything that sets your differently from other fighters out there?
- I think what sets us different from other fighters and teams out there is that we are like a big family and even though we are all from different schools we still get together and train as if we were one school. Another thing that I think what separate’s us from others is our game planning, we don’t just go there and fight, we have a different game plan for every team we go against. Same with our forms competitors, Jovi Angat our forms coach (and one of the best in the game) knows exactly what form we should do when going against a certain competitor. Also I have a very close relationship with each and everyone on my team which I think is very important. I also believe that there is no person bigger then the team and that makes us strong as a unit and that’s how we grow.
Were there any hard challenges your team had to face in the industry?
- Yes even though we knew a lot of people in the Martial Arts industry, forming a team was difficult because there is all kinds of top teams and in our first year we were looked on as a team that wasn’t going to go anywhere so everyone was trying to knock us off fast.
What are some of the best ways your team has promoted themselves?
- Everywhere we go we represent hard rockin Proper shirts wherever we go looking as if we are ONE. Another way that we are known for is our highlight videos on Youtube , seminars, facebook, instagram, our website www.teamproper.com and our annually tournament called “The Proper Challenge”.
What were some of the craziest competitions your team has competed in?
- I think some of the craziest would be at SuperGrands World Games, which competitors from all over the country would come together to compete for World Titles.
Are there any goals that your team would like to achieve?
- To compete in other countries that we haven’t been too and to help continue to make this sport grow.
What do you think of FKN Famous & how did you hear about us?
- I think it’s great what you are doing by giving them props and helping get the name out. I follow you guys on the internet and always reading about who and what’s next in the bay.
Any last shout outs?
- I want thank everyone that supports and follows Team Proper. I want to thank our sponsors Fatlace/illest and TigerClaw. I want to thank FKN Famous for giving us the opportunity to be featured on your website.
This article is sponsored by: