Fashion – Elusion Clothing
We love bringing you some of the most dope brands & stores around the world. Holding things down in the indie fashion industry we’ve got a clothing brand based out of Brooklyn, New York/Cleveland, Ohio by the name of Elusion Clothing. Now relax as we get to know Elusion Clothing a little more and how they started out in the industry.
Clothing line name: Elusion Clothing
City/State: Brooklyn, New York/Cleveland, Ohio
Established date: June, 2006
Price range for clothing: $24 – $75
Where to buy your clothing: www.shopelusionclothing.com
So tell us about your brand?
- Classic clothing with a street/euro edge, predominantly for guys. We’re adding clothing for women little by little. Strictly sold by us, online only. Possible store opening this year, still up in the air.
How did you come up with the name?
- I came up with the name in my second year of college with some friends. Originally the line was going to be named Notorious. I wanted a name that had meaning. Elusion for me stood out. Elevating Life’s Unique Styles Instead Of Negating. Celebration of style.
What were you doing before launching your brand?
- Before launching Elusion, I was a college dropout, working as a barber and a pizza delivery driver. LOL.
When did you begin thinking about launching your own clothing brand?
- I came up with the idea in 2001, while in college. My friends and I started together. Eventually, they dropped out on the idea. It took me getting sick and having to quit my job in 2006 to take it serious. I look at it as a blessing in disguise. Was also pregnant at the time when i started it officially.
What best describes your line & who is it targeted to?
- Elusion is very clean. I get that all the time. People always tell me how clean it is. We don’t even label everything. We want people to really appreciate the clothing, instead of buying it just because of the name or label. We target the young adults, 17-35 mostly, middle class. Some of our pieces have a very expensive look, but we maintain affordability. That’s a must in this economy.
What influenced you to start this line?
- My obsession with art. I’ve been drawing since the age of 7-8. My mom always told me I should pick a career where I can use my art. Was originally going to be an art teacher, but this was way cooler….lol.
How is your brand different from others out there?
- Elusion is different from others because we don’t put our logo on everything. The art is the focus on tees, hoodies, etc. We are very active in our local communities. We collaborate with celebrities and athletes to give back. We only carry small amounts of garments, making sure that the customer is exclusive with what he/she orders. It’s not about making money with us. We talk to customers, we hold events for customers. We don’t just want to make clothing. We want to change the world, through fashion.
Are there any challenges you run into while running a business?
- Absolutely. Number one challenge: sacrifice. Most people don’t make it because you have to give up everything at first, paying for what’s needed for the long run. That’s one of the biggest challenges, but the good thing is that it comes very early in the biz. It lets you know very early if you are cut out for it or not. Making your own schedule is also challenging. No one wakes you up but you. I make my own schedule. Was super tough at first, but now used to it. I couldn’t see myself doing anything else. Lastly, I’m a woman owner. I think I’m one of the only women making men’s clothes right now. That’s really tough because a lot of men don’t think I’m really the owner!
What ways did you find promoting your brand worked?
- We used every social networking website possible. We took advantage of all free outlets. We also spent money, passing out free shirts at first, just to get the brand seen and talked about. Luckily that was enough to start growing. The internet is one of the most powerful tools out today, but it has to be done right. There’s marketing and then there’s spamming. Know the difference.
Are there any future plans for your line?
- Yes, as mentioned, we are expanding into women’s and kids clothing, we have two huge campaigns upcoming for summer and then our annual HOPE campaign for Breast Cancer is upcoming as well. Collaborations can come about at any time. The best thing that I can say is to just follow us on all social platforms to stay informed.
How did you hear about FKN Famous & what do you think of us?
- You guys contacted me for an interview and that was my first time hearing about you, honestly. Immediately, I went to check out the website, twitter and Facebook to see the following. The site is awesome, the magazine in a whole is fresh and I’m honored that you all reached out to us. Keep up the great work!
Any last shout outs?
- Only shout out is to God and the customers. They keep us going.
This article is sponsored by: