Fashion – Sleeping ELFNT
We love bringing you some of the most dope brands & stores around the world. Holding things down in the indie fashion industry we’ve got a clothing brand based out of Hayward, California by the name of Sleeping ELFNT. Now relax as we get to know Sleeping ELFNT a little more and how they started out in the industry.
Clothing line name: Sleeping ELFNT
City/State: Hayward, Ca
Established date: 2012
Price range for clothing: $28
Where to buy your clothing: http://ELFNTFACE.com
So tell us about your brand?
- Well, SleepingELFNT is a streetwear brand out of the Bay Area, California. SleepingELFNT is about having a JUGGERNAUT mentality. It’s about being ready for anything and overcoming every obstacle in your path to reach your goals and dreams. Dreams, that’s where the word “Sleeping” comes to play. “Sleeping” is not to be taken literally. It simply stands for your dreams and goals and the “ELFNT” is the JUGGERNAUT that will help get you there. The concept of Sleeping ELFNT derives from the Hindu deity, Ganesha. Ganesha is the lord of success and the remover of all obstacles.
How did you come up with the name?
- Ok, let me start by telling you this. I also make hip-hop beats. So 3 years ago, I was involved in a project with some talented emcees, LushOne, Flossafee and Wordup. LushOne came up with the name “Elephant People”. I thought it was dope as hell because that word “Elephant” is so heavy and triumphant sounding. Unfortunately the project was never released. Well anyway, from there, out of curiosity I started researching about elephants and the meaning of the elephant in other cultures. Fast forward 3 years later. I was looking for a heavy, hard hitting name. I’ve been thinking about names for about a month or so. I had a long list of wack ass names lol. So I’m in bed trying to sleep when I thought of the phrase “Sleeping Giant”. Sounded heavy but it was also too common. So I decided to replace the “Giant” with another type of giant and went with “Elephant”. The spelling of “ELFNT” came from my graffiti influence. And boom… That’s how SleepingELFNT came about. So peace to LushOne for even bringing up the animal! Lol
What were you doing before launching your brand?
- I was actually a part of another brand. ¬Shouts out to them. They’re doing good for themselves. After a few months, I decided to leave and start my own brand.
When did you begin thinking about launching your own clothing brand?
- I’ve been wanting to start my own line for a long time now. ’03-’04 I think. I was all talk until I linked with the founder of the previous brand I was a part of. But as far as SleepingELFNT, I’ve been plotting for this brand since January 2011. As soon as I left the other brand.
What best describes your line & who is it targeted to?
- Rough, rugged and raw, and it’s targeted to rough, rugged and raw people.
What influenced you to start this line?
- I get influenced by a lot of things. I guess the fact that I see these other brands doing it themselves and becoming successful at it, has a huge part in it. I’ve always loved to create and do my own thing so I guess it’s only right for me to try and live off of what I love to do. And the fact that I hate to work for somebody, influenced me a lot.
How is your brand different from others out there?
- I’m not really sure how to answer this question. I’m not even gonna feed you a BS story about how different SleepingELFNT is. The fact is, I’m different from everybody I know. I have nothing in common with any of my folks. I’ve been like that ever since I was young because I’ve always hated following trends. It would feel weird as hell for me to all of a sudden switch up my style and follow the latest fad. So with that being said I know for a fact my imagination and mind frame is different from most. As far as SleepingELFNT, I can’t really tell how different the brand is compared to every other brand that’s out there. I just do what I do and if I like it, I like it. I’d have to be an outsider looking in to figure out what sets SleepingELFNT apart from everyone else. I think it’ll be better if I ask the people how my brand is different from every other brand.
Are there any challenges you run into while running a business?
- There are tons of challenges that come with this business. Running a business by myself is a huge challenge in itself. I’m a man of many hats. There’s plenty of things I need to be up on. And I’m anal-retentive so I need things to be right. So you can only imagine the things that go wrong and the challenges I face. But I’m learning as I go and I’m willing to do whatever it takes to overcome any obstacle.
What ways did you find promoting your brand worked?
- In this day and age, the internet of course. Social Networks, Blog sites such as FKN-Famous.com, and everybody loves stickers. Those 3 help get your name out there for sure. And just being out there shaking hands and networking.
Are there any future plans for your line?
- Other than taking over the world? I sure hope so. I know I eventually want to put out some cut & sew pieces. Starting Spring 2013 I will be releasing female tees as well. So be on the look out for that, you FKN female readers! I always plan ahead but we’ll see how the first couple seasons go. If I get the love and support that I need, There will be plenty more coming from SleepingELFNT.
How did you hear about FKN Famous & what do you think of us?
- I heard about FKN Famous through Facebook. I think someone posted a link to your site. I think FKN Famous is FKN awesome!!!
Any last shout outs?
- Shouts out to my family that always supports my shit! And everybody who has helped me prepare for SleepingELFNT. Vibol, Patrick from Common Giants, and Jon from City League. Learned a lot from that guy. Including Illustrator. My girl and my 2 dope boys! And shouts out to my future supporters!
This article is sponsored by: