Fashion – RockCandy
We love bringing you some of the most dope brands & stores around the world. Holding things down in the indie fashion industry we’ve got a clothing brand based out of Leeds, United Kingdom by the name of RockCandy. Now relax as we get to know RockCandy a little more and how they started out in the industry.
Clothing line name: RockCandy
City/State: Leeds UK
Established date: Aug 2011
Price range for clothing: $10 – $30
Where to buy your clothing: www.rockcandystore.bigcartel.com/products
So tell us about your brand?
- My family had always told me about how my great grandfather was a sweet maker, crafting all his own hard candies and confectionaries. I felt I needed to carry on the family business in my own way. RockCandy is about large graphic prints, great typography and a real fun vibe.
How did you come up with the name?
- I knew I wanted to create a candy themed brand that had a bit of a Rock’n'roll vibe to it. So the name came from there really, it was also a happy coincidence that the companies initials matched my own.
What were you doing before launching your brand?
- I was working for a printing company, making all kinds of merchandise for bands and brands. It really inspired me to get started with my own project.
When did you begin thinking about launching your own clothing brand?
- 2004 when I was still a teenager! I used to create my own designs all the time but never had the money or knowledge to make them a reality. I never stopped wanting to create my own clothes and lines and in early 2011 the first designs that would become rockcandy started to take shape.
What best describes your line & who is it targeted to?
- Our brand has always been fun and light hearted, it is for anyone who loves big graphic prints, well crafted designs and candy of course!
What influenced you to start this line?
- I have always had a love of typography and bold simple design. I’ve always enjoyed how shapes and letter forms fit together.
How is your brand different from others out there?
- I feel like our brand is a lot more fun, will make you smile and hopefully make your day.
Are there any challenges you run into while running a business?
- Early on before the first line was even released we had a printing company take our money and run. This set us back before we had even started! Luckily some friends & family came to the rescue and we managed to get the line out on time.
What ways did you find promoting your brand worked?
- We tried quite a few ways at the start with mixed results but good’ol word of mouth is by far the most effective! We find our customers recommending our stuff to their friends and in turn they tell there friends. Social networking sites and blogs have also been really effective.
Are there any future plans for your line?
- Part 2 of our summer line will be coming out very soon so keep your eyes peeled!
How did you hear about FKN Famous & what do you think of us?
- I was emailed by you guys and asked if I wanted a feature.
Any last shout outs?
- Only to my mum, sister and girlfriend who have been super supportive along the way.
This article is sponsored by: