Fashion – United Schemers
We love bringing you some of the most dope brands & stores around the world. Holding things down in the fashion industry we’ve got an awesome streetwear brand from Los Angeles, California by the name of United Schemers. Now relax as we get to know United Schemers a little more and how they started out in the industry.
Clothing Line Name: United Schemers
City/State: Los Angeles, CA
Established Date: June 2012
- Instagram: @UnitedSchemers
Price Range: $25-28
Where to buy your clothing: www.unitedschemers.com
So tell us about your brand?
- United Schemers is a revolution, a new lifestyle brand created by Drew West, Clarissa Diaz and Steve Minty. By definition a schemer is a person who is involved in making secret, underhanded plans and those plans usually benefit the individual. People usually see schemers and think they are trying to take what’s theirs. Our brand is saying to have that schemers mentality, but unite together, build together and take what’s ours. Forget the politics, glass ceilings and boundaries society sets and scheme together to help each other get to where we all want to be. Schemers mentality, United for all.
How did you come up with the name?
- The word Schemers has built a negative connotation and we saw it as a challenge to flip it and make it our own. A late night brainstorming session lead us to the word United. It just clicked and we realized United Schemers was perfect for what we wanted the brand to represent. Schemers being united rather than being against each other.
What were you doing before launching your brand?
- All three of us were in different stages of life and those stages were main influences for United Schemers. I had graduated college and was working as a freelance editor, mainly for sports programming. For people that know, freelance work is up and down, not too stable. Clarissa is working on her degree and dealing with school cutbacks. Steve had just graduated, being incredibly skilled with graphic design and illustration searching for work. So the three of us decided to use our knowledge and skills to create United Schemers and use those ups and downs in life as inspiration for the lifestyle.
When did you begin thinking about launching your own clothing brand?
- To be honest it’s something I’ve always wanted to do, it just took a while to get it going. Clarissa and I both grew up collecting Jordans, Nikes and following our favorite brands. My first thought was opening a boutique that carried all my favorite brands and then everything came together with Clarissa and Steve to start United Schemers.
What best describes your line & who is it targeted to?
- United Schemers is Intricate. It’s like the perfect verse from your favorite rapper: the first time you listen it’s dope and you want to hear more, the second time you start realizing the word play and the way they intertwine to form additional meanings. All of our designs and concepts have multiple meanings, ideas and inspirations. Our designs are inspired by music, art, politics, street culture and life…so our brand essentially targets everyone.
What influenced you to start this line?
- Life! We created the brand to inspire ourselves and we hope it inspires others. Like I mentioned, forget the politics of the world, forget what society says you can and can’t do. Unite together to take what we want from life, help each other aspire for greatness.
How is your brand different from others out there?
- Our message is definitely unique. We found our own lane with what we wanted the brand to represent and channel that message through our designs.
Are there any challenges you run into while running a business?
- With running any business your going to run into challenges. At the start it was finding the right manufacturers to make our product and now it’s finding ways for people to see our brand. There’s a new challenge everyday, but that’s part of the fun when trying to build a business that you enjoy.
What ways did you find promoting your brand worked?
- With todays market you have to use social media. We have an online shop and we spread the word with Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. We also get out to as many events as possible such as hip hop shows, car shows and sneaker conventions. Being at events allows us to show our brand in person and gives us the opportunity to show people the quality of our products.
Are there any future plans for your line?
- In the near future we have the Winter Collection coming out in November and the Spring/Summer Collection dropping next year. We have plans for a line of accessories and want to just keep doing what we’re doing and grow at a steady pace. I’d like to open a flagship store in Los Angeles and expand the brand to cut and sew. Being a shoe collector I would also love to start our own line of shoes.
How did you hear about FKN Famous & what do you think of us?
- I heard about FKN Famous through social media. There is a large following online that is quickly growing, so we appreciate the website covering United Schemers. FKN Famous is the perfect place to read up on fashion, music and event coverage.
Any last shout outs?
- All of our families deserve a shout out. We are very fortunate to have family that understands and appreciates us trying to pursue this dream. Our friends that continue to support us by showing up at events and pushing the brand. All the manufactures and connections we’ve made along the way, they continue to help us evolve as a brand. I would also like to thank everyone that visits our website, follows us on Instagram and Twitter, likes us on Facebook and supports United Schemers…it’s honestly the fans of our work that allow us to continue working on designs and future releases.
This article is sponsored by: