FKN Exclusive – DJ 4TiFy
We always love to introduce you to some very talented individuals. Today we have a very talented DJ from Los Angeles, California by the name of DJ 4TiFy! Check out this FKN Exclusive with DJ 4TiFy and see how he started out in the industry! Also listen in to one of his latest mixes.
DJ Name: DJ 4TiFy
Location: Los Angeles, CA
So tell us a little bit about yourself.
- I have always been an all or nothing type of person, which can be good or bad depending on what you get into. Luckily for me, music was one of the things I got into at a very young age. It all started with me playing the drums. I always wanted to jam, if there was someone with a guitar or an instrument around I just wanted to rock out! I remember playing the drums for hours and hours, that is all I wanted to do. I didn’t realize at the time that it would have such an impact on who I am today.
What inspired me to be a DJ?
- I am easily inspired so it didn’t take much for me to get going. I went to college at Arizona State University; lets just say from time to time there would be parties, ok pretty much every night. I was out with some friends one night and there was a DJ who had everyone going crazy, from that night on I knew what I wanted to do. I didn’t waste any time getting my hands on my own set of turntables and I haven’t stopped since, that was 6 years ago.
How did I come up with my DJ name?
- Well, 4 has always been my favorite number. I started looking in the dictionary for words that started with the letters “for” so I could spell my DJ name using the number. When I saw the word “fortify” it caught my eye, so I just ran with “4TiFy”.
What are some DJ’s I look up to in the industry?
- There are so many, but a few stand out for sure. First and foremost DJ Hapa, he has not only inspired me to be a better DJ, but has taught me how important it is to have your business game right. Mr. Choc is definitely someone who I look up to as well, every time he touches the turntables I am inspired, that man is a legend. A few other DJ’s I have had a chance to be exposed to that I look up to are DJ Revolution, DJ Reflex and DJ Scene.
Which do you prefer Serato, CDJ’s/Vinyl?
- For my set up I use Serato with two vinyl turntables. I like the combination of the vinyl feel and having a library of songs at my fingertips so I change the direction of a party at any moment. I am constantly exposed to new technology and don’t mind using Traktor, CDJ’s, and controllers too. Sometimes you are put in situations where you don’t get your preferred rig and you just have to make the magic happen. Staying up on all the technology is definitely a big part of my job.
What are some challenges of being a DJ?
- Pleasing everyone, it is impossible but every time I get on the decks I really try to take into consideration everyone who is listening to get the crowd as hyped as possible. Another challenge is being self-disciplined. Being a DJ there is no checklist of items or guaranteed path to success, it is all about being an entrepreneur and a lot of trial and error. We all have a story, but asking yourself the difficult questions will help propel you into finding out where you should focus your energy. I use the challenges as motivation to become a better DJ, a better trendsetter, and a better person.
Are there any goals you would like to set in life?
- Of course, I set goals all the time. I think it is important to keep things moving. You can’t stand still in this industry; especially if you are try to break through. Specifically right now I want to start traveling; I want to see the world.
Are there any upcoming projects I have lined up for you to look forward to?
- For sure. I am going to be pushing my mixtape “California Dreamin” this fall. I have received awesome response from the people who have heard it, just looking forward to getting it out there to more. It is a collection of songs old and new all about California. I had a blast putting it together, I feel like everyday I wake up I am California Dreamin’. Also I have been working on my own remixes, most recently I released “Too Close” the song by Alex Clare featuring an emcee I work with a lot Lucky Lotto. There will be many more remixes to come so keep an ear out!
Are there any last words for your supporters and future fans?
- Yes! Thank you for all the love you have shown me, there isn’t anything more fulfilling than when sometime tells you how much they enjoy your work. I feel like my journey is just beginning, there is still so much for me to accomplish, so many people I want to connect with, and I am really looking forward to it all.
This article is sponsored by: