FKN Exclusive – Leonard Friend
We always love to introduce you to some very talented individuals. Today we have a very talented artist from Los Angeles, California by the name of Leonard Friend! Check out this FKN Exclusive with Leonard Friend and see how he started out in the industry! Also listen in to one of his latest songs!
Artist Name: Leonard Friend
City/State: Los Angeles, CA
So tell us a little bit about yourself?
- My name is Alex Feder, but you can call me Leonard Friend. I’m an R&B/Pop singer and songwriter based out of LA. Earlier this year I released my debut EP, The Lynyrd Frynd EP, for free download, and since then I’ve been dropping a series of singles and videos.
What inspired you to start singing?
- I come from a musical family. My father was a Cantor (which, for those of you non-Jews out there, is the person who leads the singing at a Jewish synagogue service) and his father was a Cantor. So I’ve really always been singing! I started writing songs when I was 13. In fact, I started teaching myself the guitar specifically to write a song for my girlfriend at the time. She was moving out of the country and I wrote her a goodbye song with the first 4 chords I learned on guitar.
Were there any hard challenges you had to face in the industry?
- If we’re being honest with one another (and I assume we are), I absolutely hate the “industry” part of making music. For a thousand reasons. I just think the business end of it is very ugly. So I guess my biggest challenge with the music industry has been the industry itself. But I have wanted to be a musician since I was 12 years old, and I haven’t wanted anything else for even a moment since then. So if I have to do that within the context of this industry, then so be it!
What ways have you found was the best way to promote yourself?
- I looooove making videos. I’ve found that’s a good way to expose people to my music. And I really like releasing content for free, encouraging people to share, and gradually proving myself to new listeners. Before I ask anybody for money I want to have released such consistently good music that when you hear about a new Leonard Friend song or album you’ll KNOW it’s going to be great. Related/Semi-Related: I love Twitter. A lot. So definitely follow me @LeonardFriend.
What would be your most memorable moment while singing?
- I used to be in a rock band called The XYZ Affair. One of my favorite moments was on tour, we pulled into this tiny little bar in Fort Wayne, Indiana. There were a total of 12 people there, and none of them had ever heard of us, but I think almost every one of them bought our album after the show. They reacted like we were Led Zeppelin or something. I would rather play for 12 people and win every one of them over then play for a stadium festival at Wembley where nobody gives a shit.
Are there any goals that you would like to achieve?
- This is going to sound funny after my snobby “I would rather play for 12 people” answer in the last question, but I want to headline Madison Square Garden. If you haven’t seen the documentary about LCD Soundsystem called “Shut Up and Play The Hits,” go see it. That’s my goal. To release music about which people really care and with which people truly connect, and then to play that music for 18,000 die-hard fans, singing along to every word as if they wrote it themselves. After that I’ll figure out what I want to achieve with my life, whether it’s music related or not. But for now, that’s my goal.
What can we expect from you in the future? Are there any upcoming albums you are releasing?
- Working on a lot of things! I have a video for my single “Every Woman” that I’ll be releasing soon. I’m in a constant state of recording, and I plan on dropping new singles in January and February. I’m collaborating with an amazing Atlanta producer named Distal on a song for which I’m really excited. Not sure whether it’ll all come in the form of an album or an EP or what, but expect a lot more music in 2013.
What do you think of FKN Famous?
- I love what you guys do. Anything that exposes me to new music, fashion, etc, is always exciting to me. It’s also convenient that you guys have organized all of my ex-girlfriends into the Fkn’ Hotties section of your page. Hiyoooooooo JK I’ve never even met those girls!
Any last shout outs?
- Heeeeeeeell yes there is! I’d like to shout out my amazing girlfriend. I spend most of my life touring and working and writing, and she’s a saint for putting up with me.
This article is sponsored by: